Can You Erase Your Criminal Record?

In some instances, an offense can be expunged from your record. Not every crime is eligible for expungement, but you could be eligible if you meet the requirements.

This is important for college students, as many of them are first-time offenders who can take part in Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD). It is also important for employees and entrepreneurs who have concerns about their personal and professional reputations.

It is important to not plead guilty without consulting a lawyer. For example, if you plead guilty to simple assault, there is no way to get that off your record until you turn 70. This is why you need to contact a lawyer who is experienced in expungement.

I have been working on cases like this in Indiana for more than 30 years at Robert S. Muir, Attorney at Law. I will work with you to fight your charges and will work just as hard to get them removed from your record if possible.

What Can And Cannot Be Expunged?

Criminal record expungement can be a difficult process in Pennsylvania. Not all crimes are eligible. If you are convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor, it cannot be removed from your record. However, if your charge was dismissed or you were found not guilty, you would be eligible for expungement.

It’s a common misconception that if you aren’t convicted, your charges will be removed from your record, but that is not the case. They will still show up in background checks. You need to work with an attorney to have charges removed.

In some instances, even if you are convicted of a crime, you may be able to have it expunged after five years. This is the case with summary offenses, which are considered more minor crimes. With good behavior, you can get these crimes removed from your record.

Contact Me To Learn More About Expungement

For a free consultation to learn more about whether you are eligible to have your crime expunged, contact me at 724-471-6457 or email me. I represent those living in Armstrong, Cambria, Indiana, and Westmoreland counties.