Domestic Disputes Can End With An Arrest

Given the complexities of households and families, domestic violence can erupt when arguments escalate. While domestic violence is a serious problem, so are false accusations. When an argument turns into a physical altercation, the first person to report the incident is given the benefit of the doubt.

It is crucial for you to have an experienced attorney to dispute the charge. At Robert S. Muir, Attorney at Law, I know that domestic violence allegations are rarely the fault of just one party. I will work steadfastly to protect your rights and defend you against the charge.

Acts Of Domestic Violence

Domestic abuse can occur between family members, sexual partners or individuals who share a child. Qualifying acts include:

  • Rape or sexual assault
  • Simple or aggravated assault situations
  • Threats of bodily injury
  • False imprisonment
  • Child abuse
  • Stalking
  • Conduct causing a person to fear bodily injury

Pennsylvania bases domestic violence charges solely on the claims of the alleged victim, and the accuser is given preferential treatment. Physical signs of struggle may not manifest immediately and law enforcement tends to favor the party reporting the incident even if both people incurred injuries. Once an alleged victim levies charges, the prosecution typically pursues charges even if the accuser wishes to dismiss the charges later.

Protection From Abuse Orders

An accuser may petition the court for a temporary protection from abuse order (PFA), which remains in effect until a hearing. The temporary order may prevent you from returning home or seeing your children until after your defense hearing. At the hearing, a judge may decide to extend, modify or end the order for protection.

Your Statement Alone Is Not Enough

In Armstrong, Cambria, Indiana, and Westmoreland counties, domestic violence cases are your statement of events against someone else’s. Having a lawyer by your side can greatly influence the outcome. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your case, send me an email or call 724-471-6457. My office is in Indiana, Pennsylvania.